Sunday, February 27, 2011

Week 19: Week 3 Can Kiss My A**

I hated this week. Nothing went right. I HATE Valentine's Day!!! (I really don't hate it.  There's really a purpose for it when couple's should be doing special things for each other consistently throughout the year).  Everyone has these moments and it was my turn to experience all the crap that crap sh*t's on.

My Schedule is Beautiful!

Studying Relentlessly for Med/Surg Exam #1 
= Everyone Doing Bad on the Exam.
Studying for nursing school doesn't entail looking at notes and memorizing the material.  It's actually more than that.  It involves bringing multiple books with you, everywhere you go, reading and re-reading those notes and textbooks, studying with your classmates day in and day out.  It also involves drinking a lot of caffeine to stay awake and drinking lots of alcohol (my beer of choice is Stella Artois).  All just to get through the day.
Study Session at the Cobantigua Cafe in Old World Village
As pictured below, it does help to take a break in the middle of a study session to take a picture of a sunset (though I was taking a picture of the nursing student who was taking a picture of the sunset).
We studied for hours trying really hard to understand the material.  Towards the end of the study session,  fracture and the type of fractures became part of the equation.  I was trying really hard to demonstrate a type of fracture that we had to learn (honestly, I'm looking at the picture and I don't remember what fracture I was trying to demonstrate).

Test Day
I thought I was understanding the material fairly well.  When it comes to the first exam of a new class with new instructors, it is always difficult to assess how they test and what they want us to focus on.  When I read the first question to the exam the next morning, I literally got scared.  I knew was they were asking me, and I had no idea what the correct answer is.  They all seemed right.  That's the way the exam went.  I used up all the time on the exam trying to answer the questions.  The exam was brutal and it took no prisoners.  When it was over, I walked out of the classroom in shock.  I knew the exam was hard and I knew that the result wasn't going to be good.  Everyone I talked after class felt the same way.

Later that evening, the scores were posted and I was disappointed.  I wasn't alone.  Everyone did bad.
The Lone Bright Spot of the Day

 Clinical's
I really don't have much to say except it felt a little bit like N100 all over again.  I was a little bit nervous because it's been nearly two month since the last time we did total patient.  The only different with this first day was the fact that I could administer medications and the shift was 12 hours long.  I had a little bit of trouble with the computers.  Part of me wanted the paper charts again just because I knew how to use them. The computers had all the information, but there was so much information to look through.  It was easy to get lost.  All in all, a long day.  

Should have had more caffeine.

Panera:  The Usual Study Spot

Fit to be Square 5K Run / Walk
The week actually did have a nice finish. Several of my classmates participated in this 5K at Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley.  I had a good time.  Although about 2 miles in I was ready to give up.  But I finished with a decent time. 5K in 00:30:15.  Roughly 10 minutes per mile.  Not too bad.
Before: Once a Bruin, Always a Bruin.
After: Pure Exhaustion.
All Smiles Knowing We Finished a 5K.

I wish I could post these entries on a more consistent basis, but inconsistency will have to do!