Friday, April 1, 2011

Week 24: Peace Out Med/Surg, I'm off to Women's Health!

It's Friday and I'm a little burnt out from writing these.  I started the week with a crappy entry and I'll end the week with a crappy entry.  If you haven't read Week 23, click here to go back to it.  It's an entry that I'm quite proud of and probably the best one of the week, maybe.

Studying for Exam #3
It was the last week of the rotation and we were studying like always.  It was another long study session.   By the end of the night, we were done...again.

Monday, was more of the same.  We had our last lecture of the rotation.  We learned about acute pancreatitis, cholecystitis and cholelithiasis.  It was a good lecture, but I think we were all more focused on trying to study again.

Lecture ends, and where do I go, back to the library.  I seemed to have made a home out of the Huntington Beach Library.  Part of what makes studying bearable are the people that I study and the food I bring to eat.  I serious studied my ass off for this last exam.  You got to have good food.
Lee's Ice Coffee to keep energized!
Doodoo Cookie to prevent hypoglycemia!
Seriously delicious doodoo.  Just melts in your mouth.
A little bit of fun amidst the studying!
Mid-study session snacks!  Try eating Flaming Hot Cheetos and Sour Punch together.  You'll be amazed!
Don't you dare steal my snacks!
Last Day of Clinicals
I spent my last day in the Oncology Unit.  It's difficult having to go to clinicals the day before the last exam.  You're already stressed and it's compounded by the fact that you need to take care of your patients safely.  I managed to find some downtime and study a little bit.
The whole day went well.  We got evaluated by our clinical instructor.  My evaluation went great.  Not one negative comment made and was complimented that I never picked any easy patients.  It also feel good when your clinical tells you that you'll be going places in nursing.  It's nice to get validation for all the effort you put in and makes you feel like you've chosen the right career path

I didn't anticipate the rain at the end of the day.  It didn't matter.  I enjoyed it, stood in it and got soaking wet. What did I do after clinicals you ask? I went back to the library to study.
This was the 4th take.  I was really cold by that point.
Catheterization
I was going to be assess on the same day are the exam.  I needed to practice a little bit before I went to sleep.  I did, and my panda will probably never feel the same.
How did I do on the assessment? I passed with flying colors. 
Exam #3
I had about 4 hours to study between my assessment at 0830 and the the exam at 1300.  I studied some more in the computer lab.  Only gave myself about 30 minutes for lunch at Wendy's during that gap time.

Did it pay off? Yes. Yes it did!

The Aftermath of Rotation 1
What nursing school did to my room.
How my room looked after I cleaned it.


PEACE OUT MED/SURG! 
Its been fun, but I'm ready for babies and vaginas.