Thursday, March 31, 2011

Week 23: No Rest for the Weak and Weary

This was by far one of the most demanding weeks (in terms of finding time) I've had in a very long time.  As I have been saying, we have so much to do.  Looking back, I wonder how I managed to get through it all.  After 23 week of nursing school, I've realized that in nursing, nothing goes according to plan.  Things happen to cause delay and extra work.  I've learned to manage the stress (although my blood pressure has been a bit elevated for awhile now), keep my cool, and get everything done.

Med/Surg Rotation 1 Term NPR
According to the Nurse Practice Act, nursing is the diagnosis and treatment of human responses to actual or potential health care problems.  As a nurse, we can diagnose and treat patients.  We're not doctors and we don't give medical diagnoses, but we are part of the health care team that treats the patient and we develop a plan of care based on the signs and symptoms we see.  The Nursing Process Record (NPR), is an assignment that is designed to develop our understanding of nursing, and develop a diagnoses that a nurse can treat independently.  The NPR starts at clinicals when we assess the patient and gather information about what observe about the patient.  We've learned to analyze that data and formulate a Nursing Diagnoses in which we can develop a plan of care.  From the diagnoses we come up with a goal that with a specific time frame to achieve that goal. In order to achieve the goal, we implement interventions that we believe can accomplish our goal.  Each intervention needs to have a rationale for doing it.  Once we've implemented the interventions, we must evaluate if our goal has been achieve and whether our goal needs to be modified.  Does that make any sense?  Let me tried to diagram it another way based on a ficticious non-healthcare related scenario.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Fake Nursing Process Record
Assessment:  25 year old male, Nursing Student, Musician, Piano Teacher, UCLA Graduate, not in a committed relationship.


Diagnosis:  Single


Planning:  The client will demonstrate readiness to mingle as evidenced by: 
1) client verbalizing wanting to mingle
within 48 hours.


Interventions: 1) Take client to the bar.  Rationale:  can't mingle without singles.
2) Give the client a lot of alcohol.  Rationale:  there's nothing quite like liquid courage. 
3) Give constant praise to the client.  Rationale:  bloating the clients self esteem will make the client more willing to mingle.


Evaluation:  The client was taking to the bar and the client was give 6 shots of patron, 2 beers, and a shot of vodka.  The client was praised.  The client mingled but did not find a single.  Goal not met.  Continue with the current plan of care and reevaluate within 24 hours.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Did you get a kick out of that? I know you all did.  But that's what a NPR would look like, but the diagnoses isn't real and the interventions would be more serious than what I wrote above.

Golden West College Health Fair
I already wrote about the event for class, so I thought I would just add it in here.  Enjoy!

At the GWC Health Fair, my group put together a booth that brought awareness to diabetes.  We realized it is a topic that young adults should learn more about because of the potential health effects that diabetes that can cause someone later in life.  We utilized information from the American Diabetes Association for our booth and created a survey that scored their risk factors for diabetes.  The higher the score, the more predisposed that person was to getting diabetes.  During the health fair, I assisted my group in putting the booth together and talked to the student about diabetes.  I actively searched out people to come to our booth and answered any questions that they had about diabetes.
Don't drink an Iced Soy Caramel Macchiato and eat a cupcake in front of a diabetes booth.
Overall, I thought the event was a great success.  The turnout of people was excellent and I did not realize how much GWC students and the surrounding community appreciated the information that we gave them.  Diabetes is not the easiest topic to talk about to keep people interests, but a lot of people were receptive.  If the people were not worried about themselves, they were definitely worried about their family members health and their potential to get diabetes.  I felt like we were giving them information that they wanted.  Most people really like the displayed with did as it highlighted the detrimental effects of this disease.  People really enjoyed they visuals of what not to eat and what to eat instead.   I believe that explaining why certain products are bad in terms of diabetes really help some people considering changing their dietary habits.  I found the event as a great learning experience in communicating to a younger crowd about a serious issue.


Therapeutic Communication
We put together a little video for our HPS regarding the importance of therapeutic communication.  Not much to say. Just enjoy!


Lecture
We learned about Nutrition, Obesity, Upper GI Bleeding on Monday.  On Thursday, we learned Upper GI Bleeding and Gastrointestinal Problems.  I know you are wonder why I listed Upper GI Bleeding twice.  That's because we were lectured on Upper GI Bleeding twice.  It was nice and I got a chance to really understand the material on Upper GI bleeding really well.

Vietnamese Health Fair
Another health fair for our community health leadership requirement.  Again, I wrote about it already and I'm too lazy to write something different about it.  Enjoy!

I had the opportunity to provide support at the Vietnamese Health Fair at Orange Coast Memorial.  The event provided the following screenings: blood glucose and cholesterol, blood pressure, BMI and body fat, grip strength, and bone density.   I was assigned to the blood glucose and cholesterol station and provide assistance to the health care providers.  I was assigned the following duties:  to keep the lines neat and orderly, answer any questions, and keeping the screenings moving as efficiently as possible.  To ensure efficiency, I replenished the supply of lancets, alcohol swabs, bandages, capillaries tubes, etc. before the health care provider ran out.  This allowed the health care provider to provide consistent and efficient screenings without having to replenish the supplies themselves.
Got my total cholesterol and blood glucose checked.  They took a lot of blood.
Overall, I felt the health fair was a good experience.  Once the health fair started, it was busy from the beginning.   Everyone was punctual to the event, which made the lines long.  It also made the event look busy.  The population of participates was undoubtedly Vietnamese, and a majority of them did not have a good command of the English language.  It was difficult to communicate at times, but I learned that sign language goes a long way in getting people to understand what you want.  Thankfully there were some Vietnamese translators that I could count on to translate anything for me if any further explanations were needed.  The health care providers were great in teaching me about what they do and how the equipment work.  I found that my presence was very helpful to them.  Even though I was doing little things for them, I felt that the health care provider was appreciative of my presence and helped ease the stress on their day.   

Just crazy how much we did this week.  It's not even the end of the rotation yet.  Stay tuned! One more entry left for the rotation!