Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Week 21: Don't Worry, Be Happy


I'm trying to remember why I decided to title this entry "Don't Worry, Be Happy" because it will fit better in a later entry I'll be writing.  Being Week 5, the second halfway of the rotation, I was more than likely getting stressed out.  Hearing a song like this makes me forget about my worries for a little bit because the song itself is just carefree itself.  I also enjoy finding what I think are talented musicians on youtube.  This guy does a rendition that exudes the essence of what it's like to just have fun (plus one-man band street performances are always a hit with me).

Fluid and Electrolytes Lecture's
OMG, talk about one of the more memorable weeks of lecturing.  To make a long story short, the students began the day confused, people got irritated, and the lecture ends with everyone angry.  The beginning of Thursday lecture wasn't any better.  More anger with nothing seemingly resolved.  There was a point in the lecture where even I got frustrated and I stopped taking notes. I literally said, "I'm done" to the person next to me and stopped typing.  I just sat there.  For the most part the lectures were clear.  I just think I had it with a lot of things that were being said during these lectures.


Tuesday Isn't a Day Off
Tuesday have been one of the more hated days of the week for me during the med/surg rotation.  Although no lecture is scheduled, I have to drive down to the hospital to research my patients and do an HPS if it's scheduled.  I take nearly two hours trying to do the research two patients and spent another 3-4 hours trying to write up the pre-clinical paperwork.  You might think I'm insane for spending so much time researching patient the night before clinical's, but I want to feel prepared during the 12 hour shift the next day.  Plus, I don't ever pick easy patients.  I believe that this was the day that I picked 2 patients that were in contact isolation for MRSA of the nares.  What does that mean exactly? The patients have something in their nose than can potentially be transferred to someone else I happen to touch them.  What are the precautions you ask?  I wear gloves and a nice yellow coverall.  Overall it sucks because it takes so much time to gown up for one patient, yet alone two!  At the end of the day, it was worth it.  I learned a lot, and ended up having my patient love me!

I do reward myself well on a sucky day.  Where did I go? Corner Bakery of course.  I usually get the Chicken Pesto Sandwich and this day was no exception.  Simple, yet satisfying.
If only you knew what it's like to be my stomach.
Surprisingly, after I finished researching and writing up my clinical paperwork, I didn't go home and sleep.  I went to starbuck's and studied with one of the nursing students.  Why? Because any free time is study time.  Probably wasn't the best idea because I think my head was spinning from being overwhelmed with stuff to do.  The highlight though was trying to convert my weight into kilograms and getting this result.

What's any normal person to do? Post it on facebook!

Hospital Cafeteria Food
As I mentioned earlier, I took two contact isolation patients. I was tired by the middle of the shift.  When I finally got a chance to eat, I got something that looks like beef, rice, and potatoes.  I actually enjoyed it, but I was also really hungry.  My judgement might have been a little off this day.

Needs no explanation.  I was in contact with a lot of dirty stuff at clinical's.

IVPB Re-Assessment
I failed the first time. I got the honor of doing it again and prove that I know what I doing.  One of the policies that the instructors have is that I cannot be reassessed with the person who assessed me first.  When I saw the instructor who assessed me the first time walk to my bed, she said, "Hi, didn't I assess you before? I can't assess you again.  Wait for the next instructor." She walked away and went to another bed.  I ended up waiting another 30 minutes before the next instructor came to my bed.  Who was it you ask?  My clinical instructor!  Everything went well and I passed.

How I Began a Friday Morning Study Session
I try to treat my body well, whether it's with lots of alcohol or good food, I know I will die a happy man. This morning was no exception.  Panera's Cinnamon Bagel and hazelnut cream cheese spread was amazing. I studied for a couple hours with my classmate, though it's hard to get any of the material to stick in your brain when you're studying fluid and electrolytes.


Family Lab Night Prep
Part of the duties of the Co-Vice President of CNSA is to help out with the prep for Family Lab Night.  After my morning study session was over I hopped over to school to volunteer my time.  How did I help out with prep?  I prepared tape strips and wrapped baskets.  It wasn't the most interesting job, but someone had to do it.
It took a couple hours to do it all (which I wasn't expecting), and in hindsight was a very bad idea to help out for so long.  I probably should have been studying.  Again as a reward to myself, I had a great lunch at Pick Up Stix.
Honey Chicken with Brown Rice (because I'm trying to be a little healthy)
Family Lab Night
When I should have been studying for the second exam of the rotation, I was at campus volunteering my time at family lab night.  Family Lab night is a chance for families to go up to the labs and see what us nursing students do each day we're are on campus.  It is also a chance for people to each some food, and win some great auction items.  Also this event serves as the main fundraiser for CNSA to send nursing students to various nursing events.
Set-Up almost finished!
Lots of nicely wrapped silent auction baskets!
I get to delegate work to people so I could take this picture.
I had quite the job at this event. I was the MC and the auctioneer for the live auction portion of the night. It's not easy standing in front of hundreds of people with all their eyes on you.  Overall, I had a good time.  Got a chance to talk to the instructors from 1st and 2nd semester.  When you're me, the instructor's remember your names, lol! (If you're new to my blog or don't know me that well, I'm not conceited.  I just like to have fun!)

Compliment of the Week!
Thanks Friend! I'm doing well and very busy!