Monday, October 4, 2010

Week 5: Motivation is the Key

It was stressful, it wasn't fun, it was a situation that was difficult to work in.  Although the previous sentence could have possibly referenced my day in the hospital, it is actually a reference to the weather Monday.  Being in an air conditioned environment is great if you have it.  The lab was cool, the computer lab was cool, The Corner Bakery Cafe was cool, so I thought the classroom would be cool too.  But alas it felt just as hot inside the classroom as outside.  Class is from 3-5 and at this point the temperature was definitely pushing 110 degrees.  Out of all the days to need air condition, the classrooms a/c wasn't working.  Luckily class did not last too long, as the head instructor dismissed us from class stating that it was too hot to learn.
It was 96 degrees at 7PM (109 for a high) in Long Beach.  I don't think it ever dropped below 80 throughout the night.  Insane!

Motivation through Art
Thankfully, Tuesday weather was better (although i think it was still in the 90's) and the A/C was working.  One of the instructor wanted a demonstrate proper location of lobes of the lung better so we would have a better understanding of where to put our stethoscopes.  To do this the instructor told use to draw the lobes of the lungs on our clothing.  The instructors aren't crazy, they told use to bring in a spare white shirt to draw on.  Unfortunately I forgot mine, so I took pictures instead.

I think everyone was really having a great time.  We're in lecture for about 3 hours and I think doing an activity like this really helps keep everyone motivated.  You can say that we did some hands-on learning today.  I give the instructors 2 thumbs up for using art as a motivation tool.

Umm, I'm pretty sure that the lungs don't go down that low.
Nursing Requires Motivation 
I will admit, the first day of patient care didn't start out quite the way I would of liked it too.  I had this idea that I would be an invigorating learning experience.  I don't want to sound too negative, so I'll start with the positive.  The nurses I worked with were nice.  But they have a routine down and it seem like students get in the way of that routine.  I can understand considering that I'm only a first semester student and I really don't know anything yet.  However, I am there to learn and I got less teaching from the nurses than I expected.  Also, we have been taught in class to follow the nursing process and do things by the book.  These nurses don't necessarily follow that procedure and that bothers me a little.  Those procedures are there to ensure patient safety and when you change it to help speed up nursing care, I can see potential problems in the quality of care the patient may receive.  Well what can you do, except continue moving forward and doing things the way you are taught.

After two days in the hospital I had learn one very important lesson:  Stay Motivated!  Some of the nurses are a little less than motivated and I wonder how this helps the patient recuperate.  I will stay motivated and I will be motivated to do things the right way.  

But again, it wasn't all bad.  I did learn a lot about charting from the nurses, and helped out the patient in whatever they needed, because as I have learned from class that we always have the time.  I have also learned that I need to work out more.  I helped reposition an obese patient and I really felt it in my legs.  It took 4 nurses to make actually do it properly.  

One way to stay motivated is to eat good food.  After clinicals, Chipotle seem liked a good spot to have a  nice somewhat nutritious lunch.
Barbacoa Salad and a Diet Coke!
I took 2 pictures, this one and one in which I looked really surprised.  In hindsight, I should have taken a 3rd picture so I wouldn't of had to use this one.
Blogging Requires Motivation!
I fell a little behind this week writing because I just didn't feel like writing this week (hence why its late).  Granted, I had a busy weekend, was a bit under the weather, and have been studying for another exam.  But overall, this project is fun and so much has happened since I've started.  People actually read it (thank you friends).  People find it inspirational (wow, never intended it to be).  So on to Week 6, may it be interesting!

No comments: