Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Week 7: "One day after we graduate, we will look back and laugh"

I'm sure I'll laugh a lot looking back at this blog when I'm an R.N., but this definitely was not the week for laughter.  Stress is the perfect word to describe the week.  Many people did bad on Exam #2 and I began to ask myself "What the f*** did I get myself into?"  I was on facebook de-stressing and found a picture of the old me volunteering with Pilipinos for Community Health.  I was assessing a person blood pressure and educating them why high blood pressure is bad.  It was this picture that reminded of why I want to become a nurse.  The old me was a leader (literally, I was the director of PCH) and motivated to becoming a nurse in any way possible.  I just have to remember that in the end, all of this will be worth it.


Unfortunately, I waited really long to write this entry about Week 7. Its Tuesday and I'm sitting at Panera thinking about the exam we just took (will talk about it in next weeks entry, so stay tuned!).  I can't quite remember much about what happened last week anymore.  But for the most part it was uninteresting at best.  I didn't get a chance to be assessed in lab for administering oral medication, subcutaneous injections or intramuscular injections.  So again I did the same thing as I was doing in lab....nothing.  Oh yea, we were lectured on diabetes mellitus and the integumentary system. 

Diabetes Type 1 Vs. Diabetes Type 2

If you want to see a pretty bad pressure ulcer, click the link above.  I'm warning you, it's a graphic image.  Click the link if your stomach can handle it.

This cartoon is an excellent example of what happens when you are at clinicals.  It seems like an exaggeration, but I swear it does happen.  I under that the R.N. are busy (though sometimes I swear they have more than enough time to help us out).  I just wish that they would remember being a nursing student themselves and remember how they felt when their nurse didn't teach them something.
Part of what seems to have become a weekly ritual, I celebrated the end of the week with lunch at Panera.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of my food (but it was good).  Since I didn't get a picture of delicious food, I thought a picture of my sister extremely tired pomeranian would be a nice consolation.  Haha, that's how I feel on Fridays after clinicals!


No comments: