Monday, October 11, 2010

Week 6: A Stressful Beginning to a Happy Ending! (get your minds out of the gutter!)

Stressful Day and a Stress Lecture
Tuesday was Exam #2 and the level of stress was evident on everyone's face.  Sure it was only a 40 point exam. But still, it was important to me and the rest of the class to do well.  I kinda had a feeling that I wouldn't be doing well.  I didn't feel good on Sunday and didn't get any studying done.  Monday was slightly better, but I didn't cover as much as I wanted to.  So it came down to a couple hours on Tuesday to finish what I had to study.

The stress peaked once I read the first question on the exam.  Most of the questions were scenarios and all of the choices were correct. WTF!  Each question basically asked, "what would you do first based on the scenario?" or "which patient would you see first given the following scenario?".  Most of what I read and studied was useless (although I really didn't study much) and things I needed to know (like specific drugs, their uses and side effects) I didn't know.  The exam just became a guessing game.  By the end, the exam defeated me and so did a lot of people in class.  The people I talked to said the same thing, "What the f*** was that sh*t?" or "It was pointless studying!" or "That was really hard!" (on second thought, I was the one that said all of that).  The scores were posted a couple hours after lecture and clearly the difficulty of that exam was reflected in my score.

We talked about stress in lecture.  How ironic is it to talk about stress and management of stress after the exam.  I think most of us could of probably used the lecture last week before the exam.  It was a good lecture and it probably did relax me to get a lecture on stress after the exam.

The usual: Coffee Bean Coffee and a side of stress.

Typical Wednesday
It was typical in the sense that I went to lab to practice some skills and do some schoolwork and went to the hospital to pick a patient.  It was atypical in the sense that most of the morning it rain and it was definitely out of the ordinary for a October.  After such a hot week previously, I really didn't expect the weather to change that drastically.  I thought we were supposed to have temperate weather in socal!

Rain, Rain, Rain
Again more practicing of Medication Administration.  The process of assessing the class started several weeks ago and I'm still waiting to get assessed.  It is unfortunate for me to be waiting so long to do it as I'm beginning to lose my motivation to practice (I'll let you know if that causes me to fail my med assessment).  But I haven't lost my motivation to taking pictures during lab.

Fake NPH Insulin
I was asked to perform an RN second check on the amount of NPH insulin.  I took a picture.
Recently it's been a goal of mine to introduce new faces into my blog and take pictures of new people.  I thank all my classmates for allowing me to document the process of becoming an RN.

Intense Concentration

Clinicals
We were told to park in a new lot, and it sucks.  Why do you ask?  It's now a 5 minute walk to the hospital (which before was only a 1 minute walk).  It sounds like an over-exaggeration of the distance, but when it's still dark and you're half asleep, it's not fun.  I understand that the parking structure in which we used to park into if for visitors.

However, I had a good time at clinicals this week. It's still a little difficult working with the system in place at the hospital (but i'm beginning to get the hang of it), but I enjoyed taking care of my patient this week.  My patient was extremely cooperative and knew I was there to learn.  So whenever I asked my patient to do something, my patient did everything I asked.  I learned a lot about him and his stories about being a former marine, and how he was imprisoned in the Philippines during World War II.  All in all, a nice man who I expect to be discharged before I return to the hospital next week.

Because it's impossible to take pictures at the clinical site, I been searching for a visual aid that can represent a typical day in the hospital (or what an ideal typical day should look like) and I finally found a video that I like.


If you curious as to why I picked this one, well I'm just like Romel (minus the nursing degree, interest in volleyball, parents that are nurses, filipino accent, athletic physique, etc.).  Haha, just kidding.  I'm much better looking that Romel (if you haven't noticed by now, I have an inflated sense of self).

Happy Ending!
Friday is still the end of the week (although for some nursing students, the week is just beginning).  In a recent conversation with members from my clinical group about what to put in a fundraising basket for Saturday's Family Lab Night (in which I did not attend), some people thought that getting a gift certificate for an hour massage at one of Asian massage places near the college would be a good idea.  My mind went the other way when I kept thinking to myself, "do they give happy endings?"After a long week, this is my version of a happy ending!

Thai Food!
Not bad for 5 bucks.
New Haircut!
I intentionally wore sunglasses so I wouldn't blink in the middle of the picture!





No comments: