Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 11: Getting Seat-Jacked in Lecture!

There's an exam this week and I shouldn't be writing an entry, but I must tell you about the crime committed against me during lecture Tuesday.  As the title states, I got Seat-Jacked (in hindsight, that was a pretty slick move). Here's a rundown of what happened:

  • Edwyn walks into the classroom after eating lunch.


  • Edwyn spots an open seat.
  • Edwyn ask, "Is anyone sitting here?"
  • Nursing Student says, "No"
  • Edwyn says, "Sweet!" and begins to pull the chair out.
  • Because Edwyn's head was turned to the left, he had no idea the evil nursing student (I'm being mean to my friend, she's cool) was coming from the right and eyeing my seat.
  • Next thing you know, the evil nursing student blindsides Edwyn and pushes him to the ground and steals his seat (haha, that didn't happen).
  • What actually happened: Edwyn for some reason waited an extra second too long to make his way to sit down and she comes in and swoops into the chair.
  • Edwyn's jaw dropped (that actually happened).
  • Everyone starts laughing (except me of course).
  • Edwyn shakes his head in disbelief and finds another seat.
The things that happen in Nursing School (Note to self:  watch out for seat stealers before finding a seat in class).

Thursday was Veterans Day and that meant a day off from clinicals.  I took advantage of some of the extra free time I had and went to the new Porto's in Downey.  If you never had been to a Porto's before, you have been missing out.
There was a line to get in, but I didn't care.  Hooray for No Clinicals!  Thank You Veterans!x
It was only 11AM and it was crowded, REALLY crowded!
But waiting for about an hour was worth the wait for CHEESE ROLLS!

Being Nurse Edwyn
(Based on a True Story - of a completely uneventful day)

There seems to be some confusion about what I'm writing actually happened.  The answer to that is NO, it didn't happen to me.  I think I've been purposely vague about it, but life in the hospital really isn't that exciting.  Things like the change of shift report, finding a vitals signs machine, doing a head-to-toe physical assessment, do actually happen.  I've filled in the gaps (with the little creative writing skills that I had).  Also, when I refer to Nurse Edwyn, that is the fictionalize alter-ego of myself.  Edwyn has normal boring days in the hospital.  Nurse Edwyn is awesome and gets himself into trouble.

(Disclaimer:  What's written below is an exaggeration of the truth. I'm making the story more dramatic.  The excitement probably did not happen!)


Here's where we left off last time:
  • 0740:  "Code Blue, Room XYZ.  Code Blue, Room XYZ. Code Blue, Room XYZ" I hear over the PA.  I rush back to my patients room, worried that I did something wrong.
Let's continue and see what happens to Nurse Edwyn.

0741-0850
  • 0741:  I walked into the room only to find that everything was alright.  The nurse tells me, "Sorry, I accidently pressed the wrong button when I was trying to turn on the light. Sorry!"
  • 0745:  I do my physical assessment on the patient.
  • 0800:  "Is there anything else I can do for you before I leave?" I ask the patient.  The patient asks for more water. So I leave the room to grab it.
  • 0801:  "I grabbed you some more water.  Is there anything else that you need?"  I ask the patient.  The patient forgot to ask about getting something for their chapped lips.  So I walk to the storage room to grab it.
  • 0802:  "Here you go!"  I said as I was giving them lip balm.  "Ok I'll check back in on you it a little bit"  As I'm about to walk out
  • 0802-0815:  Nurse Edwyn continues to walk back and forth to accomodate the patient needs.  Nurse Edwyn is slowly getting pissed off, but keeps his cool.
  • 0820:  Nurse Edwyn begins charting vital signs and his physical assessment
  • 0830:  "Time to pass out breakfast."  I said.  I grab my patients tray and gave it to him.
  • 0840:  I went searching for the instructor to prepare 0900 medications.
  • 0850: My Nurse exclaims, "You gave him food!!!!!  He's NPO!  Why didn't you check the physician's orders before you passed it out!"
Stay tuned for another installment of Being Nurse Edwyn (Based on a True Story - of a completely uneventful day) and find out how much trouble Nurse Edwyn got himself into.

    1 comment:

    mS said...

    it's okay, I exaggerate what happens to me in my life since work is so mundane. actually my coworkers and I have a thing where we try to think of alternative, more exciting background stories of our more boring coworkers (there's a database administrator who works at home from Sacramento...we're convinced he's actually an undercover spy working for the U.S. government trying to cover up a conspiracy that Canada is hiding nuclear weapons in Quebec...hey, it could happen).