Monday, November 1, 2010

Week 9: "(Patient's Name), this shot won't hurt a bit!"

I learn something new in lab this week.  If you have been following my blog the last couple of weeks, lab has been a bit of a bore because everyone was being assessed for medication administration.  This week though we learned how to administer med through a Nasogastric (aka nose to stomach) Tube.  Not much to talk about, but lots of pictures to show.



I spent quite a few extra hours in the lab learning this new skill.  It's not overly difficult, but it does take some time remembering the steps.  All the practicing made me really hungry, so I ventured to Alertos Mexican Food upon the suggestions of one of my classmates.  Although this is not a yelp review, this place moves to the top of my list for best mexican food I've had outside of San Diego.  I love Carne Asada Fries, but I settled for the burrtos this time (I can't eat all those fries on my own).

I'm Always At Panera Now.
I had to balance out that burrito with something much healthier.  So I got the Fuji Apple Chicken salad at Panera.  It was really good!


Being Nurse Edwyn
(Based on a True Story - of a completely uneventful day)


I was beginning to run out of interesting things to say in this blog and I wished that I could talk in detail about what happens in clinical.  Then I had a great idea for giving you a rundown of my schedule on a typical Thursday or Friday.  As I was writing it, it turned out to be absolutely boring.  Being the genius that I am, I took that idea and turned it into a 24-esque, stylelized, piece of "nonfiction" about my day in the hospital.  I call it Being Nurse Edwyn (Based on a True Story - of a completely uneventful day).  If moviemakers can may an interesting movie out of facebook, I think I do the same with my life.  (lol, I have too much time on my hands) Hahahahaha, enjoy!


(Disclaimer:  What's written below is an exaggeration of the truth. I'm making the story more dramatic.  The excitement probably did not happened!)

0555-0645
  • 0555:  The Alarm Goes Off.  I open my eyes, find my phone to turn it off and then I shut my eyes and tell myself "just one more minute."
  • 0610:  "Oh crap, its 0610.  I got to go!", I say to myself.  I rush out of bed, stumble to the bathroom, do my No.1 and No.2, wash my hands, stumble back to the bedroom, and put on my fabric softener scented scrubs.
  • 0620:  "It's took early!!", I utter loudly, scary the roaming black cat as I walk to my car.  I pull out of the driveway and hit the road half asleep.
  • 0645:  "It's cold outside. Where's my jacket? I don't remember how I got here." As I walked from the parking lot to the hospital, I noticed something missing.  "Oh my god, it's my stethoscope!!!!!" I said.  "It's at home, isn't it?"  I rushed back by to my car.....
So what happened next?  Did Nurse Edwyn really forget his stethoscope at home?  If any of this true?  Stay tuned, for the next installment of Being Nurse Edwyn.

No comments: