Sunday, December 12, 2010

Week 15: Saying Goodbye To Clinicals :(

This week marked the end of my first 10 week rotation in the Clinical setting.  It was time to say goodbye.  I was ready to stop this clinical stuff.  It's tiring and there are moments during the shift where you are under extreme pressure.  However, I will miss clinical because you've come to know these people a little bit better after 10 weeks.  The nurses have been great and I really hope that they found our presence a little helpful (maybe not in the beginning).


From Week 4: 
"We got a chance to visit to floor we will actually will be working on.  We did a scavenger hunt to find things that we might be using.  After the day was over, I walked out with most of my classmates, and we all basically said the same thing, "I think my anxiety just went up."  T-minus 4 days to patient care!"
We have definitely come far from our very first days in the hospital.  I wasn't lying when I said my anxiety level went up.  It was extremely nerve racking entering the floor for the very first time, trying to figure out how everything worked.  I honestly thought the nurses would just eat us alive.  They definitely weren't the most heartwarming people in the beginning.  I've come to realize that it was because they didn't know us, didn't think we were gonna be of any help, and because we've never stepped foot on a hospital floor before.  As the weeks progressed, I think we began to prove them wrong.  We became more confident in what we were doing and they began to trust us more.  They got to know  us and began to realize that we were a good group of student.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Facebook Status Updates About the End of Clinicals
In the beginning, this step took forever.  Its gotten easier as the weeks went by
Thankfully I had really good patients, that really liked to talk (and weren't violent).
It was a quiet day.  Did all that I needed to do quickly and found time to listen to to women talk about make-up. FUN!
What I don't miss is the long walk from the parking lot to the hospital in the cold.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
After Clinicals was over and we had our last post-conference of the semester, my clinical mates and I went and celebrated with El Torito.  Too bad our clinical instructors were unable to join us.  I thought it would have been nice to interact with them at least once in an environment totally removed from the school and hospital. But it was nice to celebrate with your Clinical Group just one last time.  We had drinks, reminisced about our experiences, laughed a lot, and worried about the final.  It was definitely a good time.  I know its not the end and I'll still be seeing these people for another 3 semesters, but this chapter of nursing school is now closed.  We each wrote a little something on a card that we gave to our clinical instructors and staff at our hospital.  I thought it would be appropriate to write something to my clinical group (in my blog). 

To My Clinical Group,

We are the best looking!  I will always remember you guys as my first clinical group.  We will probably never again all be in the same group together and that makes me sad.  You guys have been extremely supportive. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! for treating me with respect and I hope you guys felt like I did the same.  It was fun!  I'm happy that we all got along so well! I'm glad I got to know you guys better.  It just won't be the same just seeing you guys in lecture.

1 semester (almost) down, 3 more to go!

Edwyn De La Cruz

P.S.  Although it may seem a little overdramatic, I think Jackson 5 rendition of Never Can Say Goodbye is perfect way to describe trying to say goodbye to you guys!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
In Other News......
Edwyn De La Cruz, CNSA Co-Vice President
I've have the honor of being Co-Vice President for GWC's Chapter of California Nurses Student Association (CNSA) for the foreseeable future.  If you know me really well, you've come to know that I've found myself in some time of leadership position for the last 7 years of my life.  Here's a list of positions I've held:
  • 2004-2005:  Pre-Health Director, Pilipinos for Community Health
  • 2005-2006:  Internal Director, Pilipinos for Community Health
  • 2006-2007:  External Director, Pilipinos for Community Health
  • 2006-2007:  Financial Director, UCLA Community Service Commission
  • 2006-2007:  Chief of Staff, UCLA Community Service Commission
  • 2009-2010:  Vice President, PRojEct Health
  • 2011-      :  Co-Vice President, California Nurses Student Association
Is active membership in CNSA great? No.  Is the organized the way it could be? No.  Is this exactly like what I had to deal with in PCH when I became internal director? Yes.  I'm not sure why I'm attracted to an organization that needs help building membership and reorganizing to be more effective.  I know that I can helpful and have some experience running an organization. I think I did a pretty good job being director of Pilipinos for Community Health and I hope I can be just as useful for CNSA.  The work shouldn't interfere with school and my fellow Co-Vice President and I will be splitting duties.  Should be a good experience!


The process of electing is pretty simple.  You get nominated, someone seconds your nomination, you vote, and then the person with the most votes gets the position.  Meet the new incoming Board members (pictured below)!
I never seem to escape the limelight of a leadership position.  Wouldn't have it any other way!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethic Presentation Reshoot
My groups had to reshoot all the scenes for the ethics presentation on Wednesday.  There were some unforseen circumstances that caused us to redo, but I think the reshot videos turned out pretty well.  We changed a couple of the scenes around a little bit, added a scene here and there.  Unfortunately, I no longer play a cholo (I know you guys are disappointed).  But I do play the role of Nurse Edwyn (didn't realize Nurse Edwyn was going to be a moviestar).  The presentation should turn out well!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
N150:  Raising the Bar....REALLY HIGH!
We met the instructors for N150 (or as some people have called it, "The Elimination Round").  They seem like nice people but I have to admit that I don't think they will have to same caring, friendly attitude my current instructors have.  The demands have been increased and hopefully my classmates and I can survive.  Here's a list of what N150 is going to be about:

  • Lectures Monday and Thursday
  • Skills Lab Thursday
  • Many Human Patient Simulator Sessions
  • One 12 Hour Shift each week on a Med-Surg Unit or Mother-Baby Unit Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday
  • Many Outpatient rotations throughout the semester
  • Trying to find time to sleep

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
The End Is Upon Us! N100 is coming to a close.  Stayed tuned for the N100 finale of Really Now? archiving my experiences in becoming the world's best RN (well, at least a good RN).

No comments: