Saturday, December 25, 2010

Week 16: Saying Goodbye To N100 - The Middle

Last N100 Lab
I really didn't enjoy waking up early again for Tuesday lab at 8AM.  The only thing on my mind was wanting to study for the final exam.  I was just in lab Monday and the instructors wanted us to go back Tuesday to do some nursing scenarios.  We were split into small groups and we rotated to different stations.  At one station I played the role of a patient.  I was told by the instructor that in the middle of the nurse's physical assessment on me, that I would tell the nurse that I would be feeling really hot and nauseated.  The goal was for the nurse to figure out that I was experiencing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).  So when one of the students came up to me and started doing the physical assessment, that's what I did!  The goal was to critically think about the situation and what you would what to do next as a nurse to help the patient.

Studying For Finals
I seem to always take this type of picture, where I got a shot of table full of stuff (in this case, Nursing Books and Lecture Notes).  This time I got a couple stressed out faced too!

Lab ended before noon Tuesday and after grabbing some food from Wendy's I joined my fellow nursing students at the Huntington Beach Public Library for some hardcore studying.  Definitely was stressful trying to get 16 weeks of material in your head (I think I failed to mention that we had a comprehensive final).  What made it difficult studying for the final was trying to organize your thoughts without burning out.  With all the studying we did that day, we found time to have a couple laughs to break up the monotony of studying.

Delirium: An acutely disturbed state of mind brought on by lack of sleep, fever, electrolyte imbalance, medication, low oxygen (i.e. pictured above)
I returned Wednesday to the HB Library to study.  A lot of my classmates were back again to study.  I believe I got to the library at 10AM and I left the library at 8PM.  10 hours in the library (minus the 90 minutes I spent eating lunch at Alertos) can make anyone delirious.  When I returned home that night, I was done with studying and I went to sleep!

THE FINAL EXAM
Surprisingly, Thursday wasn't that bad (well maybe the 30 minutes before the exam).  I didn't have any issues with the questions that were on the exam (well maybe the question about how many carbohydrates there are in an exchange).  I got through the exam and I actually felt pretty confident about how I did.  To celebrate, I had Lee's Sandwiches with some of my classmates and I went shopping.

In the middle of lunch at Lee's, the grades for the final exam were posted.  I was quite happy with how well I did.
GWC FALL 2010 Pinning Ceremony
I volunteered to help out at Pinning Ceremony after the final was over.  Thankfully the ceremony was until much later in the evening and it gave me an opportunity to go home and get all jazzed up.  Why did I volunteer?  Well it was important for me as the current Co-Vice President of the CNSA chapter at GWC to show that I care.  I also wanted to see what the Pinning Ceremony is like because when it is our turn to graduate, we have to plan the ceremony.  Overall it was a good experience.  I had fun volunteering with my fellow 1st semesters.  It was also nice to see our N100 instructors there.  I talked one of the N100 instructors personally and thanked her personally for helping improve my test scores.
I'm pretending to graduate!  Just 3 more semesters!!!!
My job was to take people tickets.  Smiling was optional, but when does Edwyn not smile?
May 2012 is just right around the corner.  Can't wait to be where they are at!
Evaluations
The last official thing we did was to again wake up early and go to class for a voluntary potluck/evaluations.  The thought was while we were all waiting to get evaluated by our clinical instructor, we'd bring food to eat and mingle with the nursing students.  I swear everyone came walking in with a pink box that had at least a dozen donuts inside.  I was unique; I brought a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts.  I guess the instructors goal was to get us to talk to nursing students that we haven't talked to yet because our clinical groups won't be the same next semester.  Luckily for me, I know a lot of people in class already and everyone loves Edwyn.

As far as the evaluation portion of the day, my 10 minute session with my clinical instructor turned into a 20 minute session?  "Why did it take so long?" everyone in class asked me.  Well I guess I just had a lot to talk about with my clinical instructor.  Everything was positive and my clinical instructor made me feel confident that I can tackle 2nd semester.  I've definitely learned a lot from my clinical instructor and I was happy that I got her for my 1st semester in nursing school.

Celebration Time!!!!!!!!!
What a perfect way to end Friday than to have many drinks with your fellow nursing students!
One more entry to go!  Stay tuned for The End!