Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Week 16: Saying Goodbye To N100 - The Beginning

Week 16 was one of the most stressful weeks of the semester.  It was finals week and final exam loomed at the end.  So I decided to split up this week entry into several parts.  How many parts will I write?  I think I'll write 3 entries:  The Beginning, The Middle, and The End.  What will be written in each of those entries are still to be determined.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Learning Nursing Through Art
A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of the Grand Jatte - George Seurat
The piece of art above is popular and everyone has probably seen reprints of this particular piece many times.  You must be wondering why I'm bringing this up to you guys right now.  Well, one of the instructors found an opportunity to teach nursing in an unconventional way.  During lab, the instructor tells us to try and draw whatever is she is trying to describe to us.  At the time we did not know she was describing the painting above.  So the instructor starts describing and we start drawing!
I don't think anyone really expected to being drawing in nursing school.
After about 45 minutes of drawing what we could, the instructor came around and examined what we did.
This is what I drew based on the description given to me!
Here's what another student drew based on the description given. Clearly some artist freedoms were taken.
So how does this relate to nursing? Us drawing doesn't help too much, but the principle behind the exercise does make sense to nursing.  If you've noticed the drawing I drew versus what the other student drew were very different.  The same goes for everyone else's drawings.  But we were all given the same description of the piece.  As nurses we will need to communicate to the physicians and/or healthcare professionals in a manner that paints a clear picture for them.  They won't always be around to see the patient and communicating with them over the phone will be necessary.  The key for nurses is to paint an accurate picture of what's going on with the patient so that the doctor see what you see.

I must admit that this was an interesting way to approach the subject.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethics Presentation
So the day finally came when my clinical group presented on the ethical dilemmas one might encounter with a Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) order.  I really don't have much to say about it because I think the videos give a good understanding of what nurses should and should not do.  Nurses are the patients advocate in this situation and must not use their personal biases to cloud their judgement in any situation.  I had a really great time putting this together and being able to showcase my acting ability (the little that I actually have).
The Best Looking Clinical Group (Haha, it was self-proclaimed)
I <3 my Clinical Group!

Hope you noticed the nod to Jersey Shore.
Video #1:  The Wrong Way to be a Patient's Advocate

Video #2:  The Better Way to be a Patient's Advocate

Thing We Wanted the Class to Know

Questions That We Asked the Class (though most people didn't have anything to say)

The ethics presentation was a success.  I'm really happy who the videos turned out.  I think everyone in class enjoyed our presentation.  I still can't believe that all of this happened 3 days before the final exam. They seriously loaded up the last week of school with stuff to do.  I think a lot of us could of use final week to do something under than going to class, like STUDYING!

Stay Tuned For More!