Monday, December 6, 2010

Week 14: Quiet on the Set! (Filming the Ethics Presentation)

The lecturing has been turned over to us amazing nursing students.  I'm guessing its fun for the instructors to see us present information.  But honestly I think they might be a little tired of lecturing already.  I think getting the nursing students to do presentations gives the instructors a little bit of a break.  At least we get some points out of it.

On Wednesday, my clinical group commenced filming of our Ethics presentation on Conflicts Over Treatment.  Specifically, we are gonna look at the conflict over treatment in regards to Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) order.  DNR is a complicated issue that we all have our own biases about.  As nurses, we cannot let our own beliefs about an issue get in the way in effectively caring for a patient.  I don't want to give away to whole story about the presentation and I won't (just know that I'm amazing in the videos we recorded).  We tried our best to replicate what a hospital room looks like.  At the same time we wanted to be funny and make every attempt to exaggerate certain things.  If you choose to read more, you'll see some pictures!
At our clinical site, we have a dry erase board in each room.  This one is just tad bit oversized.

We took out as many props we thought necessary to make the room look as real as possible.  Doesn't look too bad!
We make an awesome looking family.  What do you think my character's backstory is?  You're just going to have to wait a little bit longer to find out what kind of role I played.

Exam #6
I almost forgot that we had an exam this week.  I think everyone was really stressing about this one.  I was too!  They also implemented new testing procedures this week (I honestly wonder why these procedures have not been implemented before)

1) We will be taking our exams in the larger, 100 seater classroom.
2) There must be an empty seat between each student
3) We must put all our personal belongings on the side of the classroom.
4) We cannot have water bottles on our desk while taking an exam.

After getting the results back, it looks like everyone passed (you don't believe me, look at the grade breakdown below).  Lesson of the day:  stricter testing procedures will enable everyone to pass the exam (that could of helped me do better on the first 5 exams).


We were also given a gift after the exam.  We got to go home 2 hours early!  What is any stressed out nursing student going to do after getting out early from lecture? Study you say?  Hell no, I went to Happy Hour!

Thanks for reading!  Hopefully Nurse Edwyn's saga at clinicals continues next week.

No comments: